- Installed VirtualBox 4.3.14
- Installed ok, virtual machine crashed on startup with some Vbox error
- Web search ... found a single post on a forum that this was a known 8.1 issue with 4.3.14 and to use 4.3.12 instead.
- Downgraded to 4.3.12 which installed ok, however, vt-x extensions not detected (only single CPU VM's! and bad performance)
- Web search ... found a forum posting that explained how Virtualbox behaved like this when Hyper-V is installed, recommended action uninstall Hyper-V
- Clicked over to windows components ... Hyper V not installed!
- The next day a new strategy crystallised ...
- Installed Hyper-V via system components
- Rebooted a few times to be sure
- Uninstalled Hyper-V and rebooted a few times
- Installed VirtualBox 4.3.12 and voila ... vt-x is now available
31 July 2014
Fun and games with Win 8.1 pro, VirtualBox and HyperV
Just having bought a new machine that came pre-loaded with Windows 8.1pro I have been spending time getting to grips with Redmonds latest. Metro aside, one of the only major issues was running Virtualbox which turned into a saga that went something like this: